Summer Sessions 2021 Course Syllabus
Course: MATH-1314- Section: 71
|COVID 19 Information||The Lamar State College Port Arthur (LSCPA) Student Code of Conduct COVID 19 Policy requires students who have been exposed to COVID 19 or diagnosed with COVID 19 to report their condition on the COVID 19 Notification Form (available via a link on the Student Code of Conduct COVID19 webpage). This information will be provided to the Dean of Student Services. In addition, this policy requires all students to wear face coverings in compliance with the criteria included in the policy. For more information please refer to the COVID 19 link on the LSCPA website.|
|Description||In-depth study and applications of polynomial, rational, radical, exponential and logarithmic functions, and systems of equations using matrices. Additional topics such as sequences, series, probability, and conics may be included.|
|Prerequisites||Successful completion of MATH 0332 or satisfactory score on approved test.|
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
1. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of properties of functions, including domain and range, operations, compositions, and inverses. (PSLO 1, 3, ALPHA) Measured by embedded questions in tests, quizzes, or homework labs as well as pretest and post-test.
2. Recognize and apply polynomial, rational, radical, exponential and logarithmic functions and solve related equations. (PSLO 1, 3, ALPHA) Measured by embedded questions in tests, quizzes, or homework labs and pretest and post-test.
3. Apply graphing techniques. (PSLO 3) Measured by embedded questions in tests, quizzes, or homework labs.
4. Evaluate all roots of higher degree polynomial and rational functions. (PSLO 1, 2,3) Measured by embedded questions in tests, quizzes, homework labs and group discussion.
5. Recognize, solve and apply systems of linear equations using matrices. (PSLO 3)Measured by embedded questions in tests, quizzes or homework labs.
PSLO ALPHA: Demonstrates comprehension of content-area reading material.
Identifies all main ideas, supporting details, and vocabulary in reading material; demonstrates a full understanding of the reading.
PSLO 1: Critical Thinking Skills: Students will engage in creative and/or innovative thinking, and/or inquiry, analysis, evaluation, synthesis of information, organizing concepts and constructing solutions.
PSLO 2: Communication skills: Students will demonstrate effective written, oral and visual communication.
PSLO 3: Empirical and Quantitative Skills: Students will demonstrate applications of scientific and mathematical concepts.
|Program Student Learning Outcomes|
Textbook Purchasing Statement: A student attending Lamar State College Port Arthur is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from the college-affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.
COLLEGE ALGEBRA, Beecher, Penna, & Bittinger, 5th Edition, Pearson Education, Inc., 2016. Package includes book and access code ISBN: 9781323109144; Stand Alone Access Code ISBN: 9780558926809
1. Each quiz or test with the exception of the Orientation Quiz will be available for 46 hours beginning at 1:00
AM and ending at 11:00 PM the following day.
2. The Orientation Quiz may be taken unlimited times.
3. Quizzes may be taken twice. I will use the higher of the two scores.
4. The tests may only be taken once.
5. Watch the dates on your dashboard in MyLab Math. It reflects the availability of the quizzes and tests. You
will only see the tests/quizzes during their period of availability. Watch the availability when you log in to do
6. All of the homework is due with the exam on the final exam day (August 15, 2021 @ 11:00 PM).
The final exam is not comprehensive.
June 6-10, 2021 Orientation Quiz
June 15-16, 2021 Quiz 1.1-1.3
June 23-24, 2021 Test Chapter 1
June 29-30, 2021 Quiz 2.1-2.2
July 5-6, 2021 Quiz 2.3-2.4
July 9-10, 2021 Test Chapter 2
July 12-13, 2021 Quiz 3.1-3.2
July 15-16, 2021 Quiz 3.1-3.4
July 20-21, 2021 Test Chapter 3
July 25-26, 2021 Quiz 4.1-4.2
July 30-31, 2021 Quiz 4.3-4.4
August 4-5, 2021 Quiz 5.1-5.2
August 10-11, 2021 Quiz 5.3-5.5
August 14-15, 2021 Final Exam
ALL HOMEWORK DUE
|Final Exam Date||August 14, 2021 - 1:0 AM Through August 15, 2021 - 11:0 PM|
|Grading Scale||90 - 100=A 80 - 89=B 70 - 79=C 60 - 69=D Below 59 = F|
Tests: 60% Quizzes: 25% Homework: 15%
All homework will be done on computers using MyLabs Math
June 23-24, 2021 Chapter 1 Test
July 9-10, 2021 Chapter 2 Test
July 20-21, 2021 Chapter 3 Test
August 14-15, 2021 Final Exam
|Instructor Policies||Students will be required to use a scientific calculator of their choice-this will not include a cell phone.|
|Attendance Policy||Research has shown a cause and effect relationship between participation and college success. Participation in an online course is measured by doing homework prior to the tests and quizzes. There will not be any makeup quizzes or makeup tests. A student's lowest test grade will replace a first missed test. A student will receive a zero for any missed quiz, a second missed test or missing the final exam. The final exam is required.|
|Academic Honesty||Academic honesty is expected from all students, and dishonesty in any form will not be tolerated. Please consult the LSC-PA policies (Section IX, subsection A, in the Faculty Handbook) for consequences of academic dishonesty.|
|ADA Considerations||The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact the the Office for Disability Services Coordinator, Room 231, in the Madison Monroe Building. The phone number is (409) 984-6241.|
|MyLSCPA||Be sure to check your campus E-mail and Course Homepage using MyLSCPA campus web portal (My.LamarPA.edu). When you've logged in, click the email icon in the upper right-hand corner to check email, or click on the "My Courses" tab to get to your Course Homepage. Click the link to your course and review the information presented. It is important that you check your email and Course Homepage regularly. You can also access your grades, transcripts, and determine who your academic advisor is by using MyLSCPA.|
June 21, 2021 Last day to drop or withdraw without penalty
August 9, 2021 Last day to drop or withdraw with academic penalty
August 14-15, 2021 Final Exam Due
|HB 2504||This syllabus is part of LSC-PA's efforts to comply with Texas House Bill 2504.|