Spring 2021 Course Syllabus
Course: GEOL-1103- Section: 71
Physical Geology (lab)
|COVID 19 Information||The Lamar State College Port Arthur (LSCPA) Student Code of Conduct COVID 19 Policy requires students who have been exposed to COVID 19 or diagnosed with COVID 19 to report their condition on the COVID 19 Notification Form (available via a link on the Student Code of Conduct COVID19 webpage). This information will be provided to the Dean of Student Services. In addition, this policy requires all students to wear face coverings in compliance with the criteria included in the policy. For more information please refer to the COVID 19 link on the LSCPA website.|
|Description||This laboratory-based course accompanies GEOL 1303, Physical Geology. Laboratory activities will cover methods used to collect and analyze earth science data.|
1. Classify rocks and minerals based on chemical composition, physical properties, and origin. 1. Labs 2 and 3; quizzes 2 and 3
2. Apply knowledge of topographic maps to quantify geometrical aspects of topography. 2. Labs 5 and 6; quizzes 5 and 6
3. Identify landforms on maps, diagrams, and/or photographs and explain the processes that created them. 3. Labs 5 and 6; quizzes 5 and 6
4. Differentiate the types of plate boundaries and their associated features on maps and profiles and explain the processes that occur at each type of boundary. 4. Lab 1; quiz 1
5. Identify basic structural features on maps, block diagrams and cross sections and infer how they were created. 5. Lab 1, 4, and 5; quiz 1, 4, and 5
6. Demonstrate the collection, analysis, and reporting of data. 6. Lab 1, 2, and 3; quiz 1, 2, and 3
* Communication skills: Students will demonstrate effective written, oral and visual communication.
* Critical Thinking Skills: Students will engage in creative and/or innovative thinking, and/or inquiry, analysis, evaluation, synthesis of information, organizing concepts and constructing solutions.
* Empirical and Quantitative Skills: Students will demonstrate applications of scientific and mathematical concepts.
|Program Student Learning Outcomes|
Textbook Purchasing Statement: A student attending Lamar State College Port Arthur is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from the college-affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.
Required Textbook & Materials: Mineral and rock sample https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/rocks-minerals-sample-set/ (~$30)
|See Major Assignments pdf|
|Final Exam Date||May 9, 2021 - 12:1 AM|
|Grading Scale||90 - 100=A 80 - 89=B 70 - 79=C 60 - 69=D Below 59 = F|
|Scores for labs and quizzes added together, divided by 500.|
Grading Policy: Grading will be done over the 7 days after due date. Labs will have some questions with only one correct answer, while others will require explanation. All explanations must be unique to each student. Assignments must be unique in entirety.
Late Policy: Work will be accepted within 5 days or the end of the semester. Work posted after 5 days must be approved by instructor.
Procedure for Review of Test Grades: If the student has an issue about his/her grade, the instructor must be contacted no later than three (3) days after receiving the grade.
|Attendance Policy||As long as the student completes assignments and discussion requirements, attendance will be met. If you are unable to posted an assignment, take a test, or answer the discussion questions on time, permission from instructor must be obtained before the work will be accepted for grading.|
|Academic Honesty||Academic honesty is expected from all students, and dishonesty in any form will not be tolerated. Please consult the LSC-PA policies (Section IX, subsection A, in the Faculty Handbook) for consequences of academic dishonesty.|
|ADA Considerations||The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact the the Office for Disability Services Coordinator, Room 231, in the Madison Monroe Building. The phone number is (409) 984-6241.|
|MyLSCPA||Be sure to check your campus E-mail and Course Homepage using MyLSCPA campus web portal (My.LamarPA.edu). When you've logged in, click the email icon in the upper right-hand corner to check email, or click on the "My Courses" tab to get to your Course Homepage. Click the link to your course and review the information presented. It is important that you check your email and Course Homepage regularly. You can also access your grades, transcripts, and determine who your academic advisor is by using MyLSCPA.|
|Other||In the event an internet signal is lost or other cause of test interruption, the student must contact instructor right away either by email or text to phone. After verification of test interruption, the test will be reset.|
|HB 2504||This syllabus is part of LSC-PA's efforts to comply with Texas House Bill 2504.|