Fall 2020 Course Syllabus
Course: CSME-1401- Section: 71
Orientation to Cosmetology
|COVID 19 Information||The Lamar State College Port Arthur (LSCPA) Student Code of Conduct COVID 19 Policy requires students who have been exposed to COVID 19 or diagnosed with COVID 19 to report their condition on the COVID 19 Notification Form (available via a link on the Student Code of Conduct COVID19 webpage). This information will be provided to the Dean of Student Services. In addition, this policy requires all students to wear face coverings in compliance with the criteria included in the policy. For more information please refer to the COVID 19 link on the LSCPA website.|
|Description||An overview of the skills and knowledge necessary for the field of cosmetology.|
1. Demonstrates how to properly greet a client and preform a client consultation (PSLO#1) measured by completion of essential review worksheets.
2. Illustrates proper body language and posture.(PSLO#1) measured by completion of Essential Review worksheets.
3. Recite the proper way to sanitize and store all contaminated implements used for Manicures and Pedicures.(PSLO#2) measured by Chapter 5 Unit Exam.
4. Outline the daily maintenance for sanitizing and documenting the spa pedicure chair in accordance with the state board regulations (PSLO#2) measured by Chapter 5 Unit Exam.
5. Demonstrates proper manicure procedure,(PSLO#3) measured by mock state board exam.
6. Arrange rollers in the hair for a hair style (PSLO#3) measured by student skill sheet.
7. Style the hair in suitable style,(PSLO#3) measured by student skill sheet.
8. Plan to successfully pass the practical and written section of the State Board manicure exam (PSLO#4) measured by a mock state board exam.
|Core Objectives||Critical Thinking Skills: Students will engage in creative and/or innovative thinking, and/or inquiry, analysis, evaluation, synthesis of information, organizing concepts and constructing solutions Teamwork: Students will demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others to support a shared purpose or goal and consider different points of view.Communication skills: Students will d Social Responsibility: Students will demonstrate intercultural competency and civic knowledge by engaging effectively in local, regional, national and/or global communities. demonstrate effective written, oral and Personal Responsibility: Students will demonstrate the ability to connect choices, actions and consequences to ethical decision-making. communication.|
|Program Student Learning Outcomes||
1. Shows Professional and ethical behavior.
2. Practices all Sanitary and safety measures that protects individual and public health.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in all Cosmetology Skills.
4. Prepare to pass State Board requirements.
Textbook Purchasing Statement: A student attending Lamar State College Port Arthur is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from the college-affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.
Milady's Textbook ,Milady's Workbook, TDLR Rules and Regulations Book
Week 1: Chapter 1-4
Week 2: Chapter 5
Week 3: Chapter 9
Week 4: Chapter 10
Week 5: Chapter 25
Week 6: Chapter 25
Week 7: Chapter 25
Week 8: Chapter 26
Week 9: Chapter 26
Week 10: Chapter 28
Week 11: Chapter 28
Week 12: Chapter 17
Week 13: Chapter 17
Week 14: Chapter 17
Week 15: Chapter 17
Week 16: Final Exam
Week 1: Pre-test, course intro. begin chapters Chapter 1-4
Week 2: Chapter 5 Learning proper sanitation and sanitation rules. Unit exam Chapter 1-5
Week 3: Chapter 9 Learn the Structure of the Nail
Week 4: Chapter 10 Learn Nail disorders and disease, Unit exam Chapter 9 & 10
Week 5: Chapter 25 Learn Manicure procedure
Week 6: Chapter 25 Manicure Procedure exam
Week 7: Chapter 25 Unit Exam
Week 8: Chapter 26 Pedicure Procedure
Week 9: Chapter 26 Unit Exam
Week 10: Chapter 28 Learn acrylic nail application
Week 11: Chapter 28 Unit Exam
Week 12: Chapter 17 Roller Placement, Roller Set
Week 13: Chapter 17 Roller Set Practical Exam. Learn Blowdry, Flat Iron, and Curling Iron
Week 14: Chapter 17 Finger waves/ Pin curls
Week 15: Chapter 17 Hair wrapping/ Hair Styling
Week 16: Final Exam
|Final Exam Date||December 8, 2020 - 9:15 AM Through December 10, 2020 - 10:15 AM|
|Grading Scale||90 - 100=A 80 - 89=B 70 - 79=C 60 - 69=D Below 59 = F|
Unit Exams 30%
Special Assn. 10%
Regular class attendance is important to the attainment of the educational objectives of the college. The cosmetology program has formulated an attendance policy that is consistent with the objectives of the program and the needs of the student to fulfill all necessary requirements needed.
Poor attendance is a leading reason for termination from a job in all areas of employment. With this factor in mind, the instructor monitors student course activity daily.
Attendance is 10% of your overall grade, and will be monitored daily. (Online & Face to Face)
Class Time: 9 a.m. – 3:30 (Please arrive 15 minutes early to be screened before clocking in; Washing/Sanitizing Hands, Temperature Checked Daily, and submit Screening Form)
Lunch: 11:00 – 11:30 or 11:30 – 12:00
Afternoon Break: 1:30 – 1:45 Lab/Face to Face Time: 2 days a week for a total of 12 hours. Online Theory / Lab: At least 22 hours a week. (Theory, Assignments, Video Lectures, Hands on Related Videos) Total hours for the week: 34 hours
· Consult with your instructor in advance if you know you will be absent, any days missed must be made up online through Blackboard, Microsoft Teams (Video Discussions), Quizlet/Quizlet Live etc.
· Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations (TDLR) mandates documentation is available for the State Inspector showing attendance, theory and practical skills for online and face to face.
· Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations mandates the completion and passing of all the registered modules (courses) to be eligible to take the state board exam.
· Lamar State College-Port Arthur mandates the completion and passing of all cosmetology classes with a “C” or better to attain the knowledge and skills needed to pass your State board exam.
|Academic Honesty||Academic honesty is expected from all students, and dishonesty in any form will not be tolerated. Please consult the LSC-PA policies (Section IX, subsection A, in the Faculty Handbook) for consequences of academic dishonesty.|
|ADA Considerations||The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact the the Office for Disability Services Coordinator, Room 231, in the Madison Monroe Building. The phone number is (409) 984-6241.|
|MyLSCPA||Be sure to check your campus E-mail and Course Homepage using MyLSCPA campus web portal (My.LamarPA.edu). When you've logged in, click the email icon in the upper right-hand corner to check email, or click on the "My Courses" tab to get to your Course Homepage. Click the link to your course and review the information presented. It is important that you check your email and Course Homepage regularly. You can also access your grades, transcripts, and determine who your academic advisor is by using MyLSCPA.|
|HB 2504||This syllabus is part of LSC-PA's efforts to comply with Texas House Bill 2504.|