Fall 2020 Course Syllabus
Course: DMTH-0110- Section: 71
Beginning Algebra Support Course
|COVID 19 Information||The Lamar State College Port Arthur (LSCPA) Student Code of Conduct COVID 19 Policy requires students who have been exposed to COVID 19 or diagnosed with COVID 19 to report their condition on the COVID 19 Notification Form (available via a link on the Student Code of Conduct COVID19 webpage). This information will be provided to the Dean of Student Services. In addition, this policy requires all students to wear face coverings in compliance with the criteria included in the policy. For more information please refer to the COVID 19 link on the LSCPA website.|
|Description||Concepts of basic algebra. Operations on real numbers and polynomials, solving equations, inequalities and systems, graphing, and problem solving are included.|
Corequisite(s): DMTH 0310
Prerequisite(s): TSI Score 310-335 and ABE Score 3-4
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
1. Use appropriate symbolic notation and vocabulary to communicate, interpret, and explain mathematical concepts.
2. Define, represent, and perform operations on real numbers, applying numeric reasoning to investigate and describe quantitative relationships and solve real-world problems in a variety of contexts.
3. Use algebraic reasoning to solve problems that require ratios and rates in a variety of contexts using multiple representations.
4. Apply algebraic reasoning to manipulate expressions and equations to solve real-world problems.
5. Use graphs, tables, and technology to analyze, interpret, and compare data sets.
6. Construct and use mathematical models in verbal, algebraic, graphical, and tabular form to solve problems from a variety of contexts and to make predictions and decisions.
* Communication skills: Students will demonstrate effective written, oral and visual communication.
* Critical Thinking Skills: Students will engage in creative and/or innovative thinking, and/or inquiry, analysis, evaluation, synthesis of information, organizing concepts and constructing solutions.
* Empirical and Quantitative Skills: Students will demonstrate applications of scientific and mathematical concepts.
* Teamwork: Students will demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others to support a shared purpose or goal and consider different points of view.
|Program Student Learning Outcomes||
PSLO ALPHA: Reading skills - Demonstrates comprehension of content-area reading material.
Identifies all main ideas, supporting details, and vocabulary in reading material; demonstrates a full understanding of the reading.
Textbook Purchasing Statement: A student attending Lamar State College Port Arthur is not under any obligation to purchase a textbook from the college-affiliated bookstore. The same textbook may also be available from an independent retailer, including an online retailer.
As this is a support course, required materials are detailed in the specific DMTH 0310 course syllabus in which you are enrolled, which usually includes:
Beginning & Intermediate Algebra 6th edition by Elayn Martin-Gay (not required)
MyLabsPlus Access (required, no additional subscription need because it was purchased for main class)
Discord App (free, required for attendance and communication)
Grades will only be discussed in person.
Reference your specific DMTH 0310 Beginning Algebra major assignment schedule from your main course.
|Final Exam Date||December 31, 2020 - 12:00 AM|
DMTH 0110 is based on Pass (Satisfactory) or Fail (Unsatisfactory)
DMTH 0110 Graded on the scale of Pass [SD] (70%-100%) or Fail [UD] (Below 70%)
Your DMTH 0110 final grade will consist of:
There are no finals, tests, or quizzes in this class. It is meant to support your success in your main class.
Reference your specific DMTH 0310 College Math course for the determination of your DMTH 0310 Final Grade
Grades will only be discussed in person.
Class Attendance Expectations:
Weekly check-ins on Discord account for attendance.
10 out of 13 successful check-ins counts for full attendance credit.
Frequent Announcements will be on Discord, so checking the app daily is advisable. The link to the Discord server can be found in your email or as an announcement on BlackBoard.
|Academic Honesty||Academic honesty is expected from all students, and dishonesty in any form will not be tolerated. Please consult the LSC-PA policies (Section IX, subsection A, in the Faculty Handbook) for consequences of academic dishonesty.|
|ADA Considerations||The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact the the Office for Disability Services Coordinator, Room 231, in the Madison Monroe Building. The phone number is (409) 984-6241.|
|MyLSCPA||Be sure to check your campus E-mail and Course Homepage using MyLSCPA campus web portal (My.LamarPA.edu). When you've logged in, click the email icon in the upper right-hand corner to check email, or click on the "My Courses" tab to get to your Course Homepage. Click the link to your course and review the information presented. It is important that you check your email and Course Homepage regularly. You can also access your grades, transcripts, and determine who your academic advisor is by using MyLSCPA.|
|Other||The professor reserves the right to modify the syllabus with syllabus addendums.|
|HB 2504||This syllabus is part of LSC-PA's efforts to comply with Texas House Bill 2504.|